Thursday, February 27, 2014

First Impressions: Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser


Well isn't this is a change of pace~ Good morning! I've been meaning to purchase another primer for a while and I was contemplating on either Benefit's POREfessional or the Too Face Primed & Poreless. At $30 each I was hesitant, then again I'm always hesitant because things don't always work out (yes, I can return them but do I really want to drive 20 min away to the closest Sephora/Ulta to do that? Such a hassle and a waste of gas. ㅠㅠ). I have tested and tried both products out a handful of times in the past so I'm pretty familiar with their formulations. Still, I was very indecisive.

Maybe the makeup gods were listening in on my desperate plea, because I recently discovered Baby Skin from Maybelline! And by golly, I was curious and itching to own it. Knowing it'd probably be less than half the price of the high-end primers I initially wanted to get, it'd be the perfect stand-in while I try to decide on the other two.

It's pretty difficult finding a really great and affordable drugstore primer that actually does the job, so when I found out that Maybelline (Maybelline fangirl here) was releasing one, my wallet and I were beyond stoked. The launch of Baby Skin was first released in Asia early 2013 (I swear the other side of the world gets first dibs on the best things!) and I wasn't aware that it finally hit the U.S. shores just recently. Took a pit-stop at Walmart this past Sunday night and my sister spotted the last one..the. Last. One. We didn't even hesitate. At $5.99 a pop, it was a pretty good steal. I honestly thought it would've been a few more dollars pricier, but hey I'm not complaining.

Right off the bat, the packaging completely caught my attention. The look of it alone made me want it. The color of the tube is seafoam green/blue which is my absolute favorite and I strive to own anything and everything in freaking seafoam. I'm just fantasizing about how awesome it would be for all my cosmetics and brushes to be in one consistent seafoam parade. I'm ridiculous, I know. Plus, it was so cute that I just wanted to eat it.

Come to think of it, the packaging for Maybelline's entire Baby line is really all too cute (have you seen their Dr. Rescue medicated lip balms?!). It reminded me a lot of the cute and carefully thought-out packaging released in S. Korea and Japan. 1-Up for you, Maybelline. You sure know how to grab the hearts of those who live for all things adorable and esthetically pleasing.




 Non-comedogenic? +++! As someone with somewhat acne-prone and sensitive skin, this is a plus.

......You know...just making sure you're all aware.



It's a hygienic squeeze tube with a screw on/off cap. You'll have to be careful not to squeeze with too much pressure otherwise you might end up with more product than you actually need. Take it from my experience...maybe I was just too excited.

This nozzle is actually different from the pointed-tip version released in Asia. Personally, I'd prefer the pointed tip just because I feel you're able to have better control of the amount of product that comes out and it's less fussy/messy. But I could make do with this one. Not a big deal~



The formula is heavily silicone-based and it is transparent with a very smooth, somewhat thick and soft gel-like consistency. It's not runny, watery, nor slick. Baby Skin might take a bit more blending for it to dry, compared to Benefit's Porefessional, which dries almost instantly upon application. And it's fragrance free just as the packaging says.






Man, sometimes I wish I was born to have fabulous skin! It'd make life so much easier lol. This is before and after I applied a small amount of Baby Skin onto my right cheek. Since it is a bit thicker, a little goes a very long way. As I was blending it into my skin, it was difficult for me to tell if it was dry or not since the formula is so soft and smooth.

Nope my camera wasn't unfocused and that isn't a blur effect. It's the real deal and it definitely lives up to that Blur Technology claim. It's crazy how much it looks like a photo filter. While it doesn't completely erase the look of my large pores, it did instantly minimize it and leave the surface of my skin with an incredibly velvety and matte finish. This might work even better for those who have smaller pores and less finer lines.

I have combination to (really) oily skin and I tested the Baby Skin alone on for about 1-2 hours to when my face tends to start producing oil after cleansing. Surprisingly, It did a pretty good job keeping the test area from becoming too oily. My skin also hasn't reacted badly to this product even by the end of the day.

The following day I wore it underneath my Maybelline FIT foundation (see, fangirl) to put it to the ultimate test. My foundation applied very smoothly and easily onto my skin and the Baby Skin did a great job filling my pores and staying put underneath. Again, my pores are huge and it doesn't completely erase them even with foundation, but it definitely reduced the look of them by a whole lot. I'm not disappointed whatsoever and I actually prefer this natural still-looks-like-skin look over having an obvious face of foundation/conceal-age (I like making up words).

As far as oil control goes, I am very happy with this product. My oiliness level goes beyond others' and after 5 hours, I honestly didn't even feel the need to blot. And this is coming from someone who becomes a full-fledged greaseball after the 2nd hour. It just left me with a nice dewy look. I can't guarantee this for everybody else, but it seems to be really cooperative with my skin.

Photo to show a size comparison to an average size tube of lipbalm. Oh Baby Skin, you sly dog, you.

 

Apparently I wasn't aware of how 'hyped' this primer really was! Do I think it lives up to the hype? I certainly do, for me anyway. Hyped or not, if it works for you, then it works. Don't let something that's overly buzzed about prevent you from trying a product that might potentially be the one for you~ It doesn't hurt to give it a shot yourself. ^^

Overall, I'm satisfied with this product. My only regret is not milking every CVS around town of their entire stock of Baby Skin. And for the record, in a way I'm thankful for my indecisiveness over the Benefit Porefessional and the Too Faced Primed & Poreless. I'm completely sold on Baby Skin and for right now, I don't think I'll be needing the other two.

Have any of you tried Baby Skin? How does it work out for you?

**I was not paid to feature this product. All my reviews are 100% honest and are from my own personal experience.


Peace & baby-butt smooth skin,






No comments:

Post a Comment